The Sims 4 is a popular life simulation game that allows players to create and control virtual people, known as Sims. A beloved game played by millions and the good news is you don’t need to break the bank when choosing a laptop that can play Sims 4 and all expansions and CC.
Unlike some games, the Sims 4 does not have high-quality graphics requirements. But you need a laptop that can run The Sims 4 without issues and anything else you need it for. In this article, we look at what you should consider when deciding which laptop would be best.
Minimum and Recommended Specs for The Sims 4
To play The Sims 4 on a laptop, you will need to choose a device that meets or exceeds the minimum system requirements. Before we dive into the best laptops for The Sims 4, you should first understand the minimum system requirements for the game.
According to the game’s website, the minimum requirements for The Sims 4 are:
Minimum System Requirements
- Operating System: Windows 8.1, or 10 64-bit
- Processor: 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core 4000+ or equivalent
- Memory: at least 4 GB RAM
- Graphics Card: 128 MB of Video RAM and support for Pixel Shader 3.0. Supported Video Cards: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, ATI Radeon X1300 or better, Intel GMA X4500 or better
- Hard Drive: at least 15 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
Recommended System Requirements
The recommended system requirements for playing The Sims 4 on laptops are:
- Operating System: 64-bit Windows 10 or 11
- Processor: Intel Core i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 of faster
- Memory: 8GB of RAM
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 970 or AMD R9 390
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 18 GB of available space
It is also important to note that these are just the recommended laptop requirements for playing the Sims 4 game. The game may still be able to run on computer systems that do not meet these specifications. However, for the best gaming experience, it is recommended meets or exceeds these requirements.
Recommended System Requirements for All Expansions and CC
The recommended Sims 4 laptop requirements for running The Sims 4 with custom content and all expansions are also nothing that will break the bank to buy, they are:
- Operating System: 64-bit Windows 10 or 11
- Processor: Intel Core i5 8th Gen or AMD Ryzen 5 3000 or better
- Memory: 8GB of RAM or higher
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 1650 or better
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 25 GB of available space or higher
Keep in mind that playing with custom content and all expansions can increase the requirements to run the game smoothly on a laptop computer. It is best to have a system that meets or exceeds the recommended requirements to avoid experiencing performance issues.
Moreover, the exact system requirements may vary depending on the specific custom content and expansions you are using. If you do end up experiencing performance issues. Check the specific requirements for the CC or expansion pack to ensure your system meets those requirements.
What to Consider When Choosing A Laptop?
When choosing a laptop that can Play Sims 4 and all Expansions and CC, there are several things you should consider. In addition to ensuring the laptop meets or exceeds the Sims 4 requirements. You may also want to know if a desktop or laptop is better for The Sims 4.
What are Your Budget Constraints?
As mentioned already, a suitable laptop for playing the Sims 4 game does not have to break the bank. While we all want the most powerful gaming laptops, they may not be affordable for everybody.
However, it is imperative to consider how much you can spend on your new laptop and how much performance you are willing to sacrifice. The great news is you can find some pretty cheap laptops for Sims 4 that are decent and more than capable of running all expansions and custom content.
Yet, a portable laptop will almost certainly cost more if you want more performance than what an affordable laptop can provide. Investing more will future proof your device for years to come.
What is the Purpose of the Laptop?
Is the laptop solely intended for only playing Sims 4. Or would you like to take your gaming up a level. If you settle on a laptop that just meets the minimum system requirements for this game. You will run into performance issues if you play other more resource-hungry games such as GTA 5, Apex Legends, or COD Warzone, all need more powerful hardware.
Also, do you need the laptop for other purposes, such as school or work? If so, you might need a laptop with more than what is required for playing Sims 4. If so, you want to consider a more versatile option with newer hardware, depending on what else you do.
What are Your Storage Needs?
The Sims 4 only requires 15 GB of free storage space, but if you plan on using custom content or expansions, you’ll need additional space. (around 25-35 GB of storage space). The good news is that most affordable modern laptops have solid-state drives with at least 128GB of or 256GB SSD.
Solid-state drives (SSD) offer much faster loading times. Compared to traditional hard-disk drives (HDD) However, I do not recommend an HDD with gaming or regular laptops. HDDs are more prone to damage and are much slower and are far noisier than SSDs.
Ideally, you want a laptop with at least a 512GB SSD this will be more than enough storage for most people. If the laptop had M.2 slots, great. A laptop with M.2 slots will mean you can add a 2nd SSD if you ever need more storage, potentially you can install up to 2TB of SSD storage.
What are Your Display Needs?
A laptop with a high-resolution display can make a big difference in the gaming experience it offers. A Full HD display is still a great choice and the most common display resolution used by gamers.
I would only recommend investing in a laptop with a QHD (2440p) display if you plan to use it for more strenuous tasks. Tasks such as video editing or running other graphical software.
What are your Portability Needs?
If you plan on carrying your brand-new Sims 4 laptop with you, you should consider its weight and size. For portability, a 14-inch screen would be ideal. Despite this, gaming laptops are lighter and thinner than they used to be. And why models with 15-inch screens should also be considered.
Battery life is also something that you might need to think about if you do want to take it to school, college, or to work. More powerful laptops like the Razer Blade above do not have the best battery life. Mainly because it has powerful hardware and features such as RGB keyboards.
How Much Upgradability Does the Laptop Have?
Some budget laptops with upgradeable components, such as RAM and storage, which can be helpful for some users. For The Sims 4 and all expansions and CC, you can get by with 4GB of RAM. Yet, if you plan to run more strenuous apps or games, you may need more memory.
And why I recommend having a laptop with at least 8GB of RAM. While 16GB of RAM would be ideal. That said, as long as the laptop you choose has some upgrade options. It would be OK to start with 8GB of RAM. At least, then you know you can add more if needed.
By considering the answers to these questions and comparing different options, you can better choose a laptop that can handle The Sims 4 and meet all your other needs.
Top 3 Laptops for The Sims 4
- Dell Inspiron 15 3000: The Dell Inspiron 15 3000 is a relatively cheap laptop that can handle The Sims 4. It features a 11th Gen Intel Core i5-1135G7 Quad-Core 2.40GHz Processor, 16 GB of RAM, and a 512 GB PCIe Solid State Drive. This laptop also has a 15.6″ FHD Touchscreen Anti-Glare display, which is ideal for enjoying the game and movie watching. (See Best Price)
- Lenovo Legion 5: The Lenovo Legion 5 is a powerful budget gaming laptop that can run The Sims 4 game without issues. It features a AMD Ryzen 5 5600H Processor, 8 GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 dedicated GPU. It also has an RGB keyboard, a 17.3-inch Full HD display and a sleek design, making it a great option for both gaming and everyday use. (See Best Price)
- Acer Aspire 5: The Acer 2022 Newest Aspire 5 is another sleek laptop that is ideal for budget conscious users. It features a nippy 11th Generation Intel Core i3-1115G4 Processor, 8 GB of RAM, and a 128GB Solid State Drive. This laptop also has a bright 15.6-inch Full HD display and a solid silver design, making the Acer Aspire a great laptop for school. (See Best price)
Choosing the right laptop that can play Sims 4 and all Expansions and CC is crucial for a smooth and stress free gaming experience. The good news is that if you opt for a laptop that meets the minimum system requirements it won’t have to cost more than $500.
Even the recommended system requirements won’t break the bank. However, to run the game with custom content and expansions, these requirements might be higher. Keep in mind that custom content and expansions can greatly increase the requirements needed to run the game smoothly.
If you’re in the market for a new laptop or just want to stay informed about the latest trends and recommendations, sign up for my newsletter. I will keep you updated on the best laptops for The Sims 4, and other The Sims 4 laptop tips, as well as other technology-related gaming in general.
Thanks for Reading, Cya Next Time!